This is an old post I wrote over 2 years ago and will like to share .
I woke up this morning and all the Holy Spirit kept laying in my heart was keep your house in order. I got out of bed and started sorting out my physical environment , laundry , library , bathroom , kitchen and all but I still felt a nudging that it was not my physical house God was referring to. Being single and far away from home I always felt the need to ensure I tidy up and things as neat as possible. One thing is certain; my mother would not be cautioning me on how important it was to keep things in the appropriate place both physically and spiritually. That’s when I realised that I had been paying too much attention to my physical environment and neglected my spiritual environment. Immediately I fell on my knees and started praying and asking God to guard me in the right direction and ensure I did not fall into any temptation but I still felt empty like there was more to be done. I had been postponing so many spiritual assignments for a very long time and I guess it was then I realised that if I did not take responsibility for my life as a single lady then how do I expect to be able to pass down to a new generation what I had learn and was learning about the Lord Jesus Christ. The truth is if we do not find the strength to rise from the ashes and start again we would never move on. We have come too far to give up , we have to rise up to the challenge and equip ourselves because God has planted wonderful gifts in every one on earthBefore I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” Jeremiah 1: 5.
As Christians the base for every decision we make should be the bible. We should learn to prepare ourselves not based on what is accepted by the world but what the word of God says Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Setting your house in order contrary to what the world believes is not something that should be done when we know that the end is coming but it is something we should do daily. there are certain people we hold in high esteem spiritually and I they are around us we would not do certain things and we would always ensure we put our best foot forward when we know they would be informed of any action we take . Why do not take this attitude with The Lord. He is the author and finisher of our faith; He died to be our saviour but leaves to be our King.
I would just like to point out that setting your house in order is not a box ticking exercise but a personal work with God it involves letting go daily and letting God completely . The next few paragraphs would describe a few things that I have personally decided to embark on to ensure that I do not go through a spiritual drought.
1. Accepting Jesus Christ: In order to find fulfilment every individual must learn to first accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and personal saviour.
2. Understanding your identity in Christ: most Christians do not understand their identity in Christ. (2 COR 5:16). Your belief system and behavioural pattern as a Christian is based on understanding that you are. You must realise you are significant, accepted and secure in Christ (romans 8) as believers, we are not trying to become saints, we are saints who are becoming like Christ. it transcends going to church and been a member of a bible believing church but knowing Jesus for yourself . Understanding the relationship that exists between you and God. Know the role you play and the Role He plays and accept that you are indeed created in the image and likeness of God.
3. Study the word: To ensure your house is in order you need to study the word, feed yourself spiritually keep a track of your spiritual growth I suggest keeping a journal. By ensuring you build your faith daily and base the decisions you make on scriptures. You are meant to be touched by the Holy Spirit and you need to create time to develop yourself. Do not be spiritually dead create time to the study the word of God. Make it an habit to learn something new about Christ. You can decide to read a book in the bible as a personal study it is always best to work on your spiritual growth based on how best you study. Find out your strengths when it comes to studying and develop it. It helps to see it has mandatory like you eat 3 times a day or get to make your hair plan what you will study and do it . If you miss out on a day do not kill yourself but pick yourself up and continue. Never give up on learning, search the scriptures for yourself. Get back to the bible.
4. Do what is right : Living without sin is achievable but most times we are misguided by three things
I. The wrong standard of Holiness
II. The wrong source of power to change
III. The wrong motive for fighting Sin (Harris, 2008)
John Wesley once wrote to his mother when he was struggling with sin and this was her response to him
“take this rule: whatever weakens your reasons , impairs the tenderness of your conscience , obscures your sense of God, or takes off the relish of spiritual things; in short whatever increases the strength and authority of your body over your mind that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may be in itself “
We need to be true to ourselves and question our actions Questions we should as our selves
ü Do I view Sin as an act of rebellion against God
ü Is there true sorrow over my sin or do I merely dislike the consequences
ü Am I cultivating a hatred for this Sin
ü What further actions do I need to take
Do not confuse confession with repentance. When we sin we need to repent truly it goes beyond acknowledging that you have committed a sin but Picking up your sword Hebrews: 12, 2 Timothy 3: and guarding your heart with all diligence.
5. What should we avoid: in an attempt to place our houses in order we need to know what to avoid that could lead us to sin. Personally in my late teens and early 20’s I realised I was drawn to books all types of fiction and music especially rock and roll. It was a big struggle setting this right and I had to painfully take steps to ensure I listened to all Christian songs and read Christian Literature .this has made a tremendous change in my life, as I have now created A VAST COLLECTION Of songs and Christian authors that promote what is right. In one on my favourite books, I came across these guidelines that hope would be beneficial in determining what we feed our mind.
ü Do not listen or spend money on anything that Promotes an evil message : if it tends to presents evil as good then we need to be avoid it .This can be done when a movie or song celebrates sins such as lying , stealing murder , adultery in an attractive way. This is a personal decision and I hold firm to this because the bible tells us to avoid every kind of evil 1Thesellonains
ü Do not engage in any activity that uses an evil method: Regardless of the point of the story the end does not justify the means. Stand for the truth, make integrity you watch word. Do not seek to be right see the truth
ü Do not be offended in different opinion: If you take a stand to live right you would definitely face opposition from the world. One thing that may keep you going is not seeking to be right but to share the truth humbly (Harris, 2003) . the truth you know has set you free so share it with love , kindness and a clean heart.
ü Pull down: in your life Strongholds Psalm 101: 2-4 and if the need arises change habits
6. Make yourself accountable: One common mistake make is assuming we are in this alone. The Christian faith is not done alone if this was so God would not instruct us to fellowship together. Identify in your life friends or foe, righteous or unrighteous, mentors, teachers and whoever you are accountable to. God has surrounded us with people who would ensure we are not falling astray. It is also best to develop relationship with people that you share the word of God with. Form a prayer circle or chain .It is always best to ensure that there is balance in this chain / circle do it is not advisable to pick someone of the opposite sex as a prayer partner . One important tool that can be used to build a prayer chain or bible study group is the social media. Make use of these Medias effectively by sharing materials, thoughts and prayer points. It is best we find the lord in the days of our youths. We need to realise that by standing together in one accord. Let us discipline ourselves and encourage ourselves. We will learn something new as our faith we grow when we know the bible.
To strengthen our will to serve God we need to be sincere in asking for the truth, approach with a sincere heart. We should restrain from seeking to be right all the time, we are on a journey going somewhere and we should never let pride prevent us from accomplishing our God given mission. Remember, God gives the vision; he gives the man the mission and the option. God has given us a myriad of choices, and we would be held accountable, build yourself, submit to the authority of the Holy Spirit. Allow God to guard you and do not become self-righteous. People cannot consistently behave in ways that are inconsistent with the way they perceive themselves Just know there is a purpose for those who wait.